Sunday, April 19, 2009

So....this is harder than I thought...




I have these two blogs going and just threw together another web-site for a potential client, which was good, because I got the job this weekend.
But let's talk about the garden...I'm going to include some photos from the past few weeks here, I've been taking a lot of pictures, but the time it takes to upload them is killing me. So, you'll just have to make due with some recent, but not today, photos.
Here's what's been going on in the garden:
They were all growing nicely, then I thought I killed some by spraying too much soapy water on them, but they all pulled through. The peas don't look so nice on the bottom, but they still survived. We'll get to that in a moment.
Then, we had some unseasonably cold weather for a couple of spells, and that freaked me out because I thought, "oh no, they're all going to die..." but they didn't. The tomatoes and peas had some strange spots on them, and an herbologist at Natural Gardener informed me it was cold damage and they had a lot of that going on. She convinced me to buy some concentrated liquid seaweed to spray on the plants to give them a boost. Healed overnight! Amazing. Now all of my plants get a little seaweed every once-in-a-while.
I also add a little liquid compost from our compost bin sometimes, but not too frequently.
I meant to trim/prune the sweet peas to get rid of the extra weight, but never really got around to it....Good news is, many of them have made it to the fence and are still climbing. I'm certain we'll see some flowers on them soon!
We have been eating the lettuce from the garden a lot lately. Just pulling enough out for salads and its wonderful! Lowell loves it so much, every day he gets to pick a leaf of lettuce and he just shoves it in his mouth and chomps away. He loves it!
We took out both kale plants and had them with a stew the other day. Both plants had leaves going yellow on the bottom, which I read means they are going to go bitter soon. So we took them out and they were just fine.
The spinach didn't make it - I think they were just too hot. So we put a strawberry plant in that square and it is doing really well.
I pulled some beets out the other day because I thought they looked about ready. Well, when you plant beets, they come in a pod and a pod holds 4-5 seeds. I didn't thin them out when they were coming up because I didn't know this at the time. So, when I dug a bunch of beets up the other day, there were four plants. No beets, though. Just some strong looking roots. I separated them all out and re-planted in various places - and I thought they were all dead the next day. They were flat, wilted and lifeless. I poured a bit of the seaweed on them, chopped off the dead leaves...two days later, new leaves were popping out and they're back in business!
(I'm thinking I might need to drink this seaweed).
I bought some more tomato plants to replace in the kale squares. There are currently three or four, that I can see, tomatoes on the roma tomato plant. Our squash had two blossoms yesterday....
Oh, and yesterday morning I woke to a loud crack of thunder and then the horrible click-click-ping sound of hale. And I thought, "oh no, they're all going to die" but the quarter-sized hail was short lived and everyone made it out alive.
The onions are making it, I think. Some have been destroyed by something underground, and there is the odd ball that "accidentally" gets thrown in there and crushes at least one....
The broccoli by the sweetpeas is incredible! Two of them are more than 2 feet tall!
Waiting to see what to do with the carrots! Very excited.
Four of the society garlic have been transplanted to the front. Two in the back have bloomed.
Ian thinks I need to scrap the parsley...its not growing at all really. Sort of stunted.
My attempts at marigolds keeps going awry for some reason.
The shallots are doing well, all except for one that was in the direct center of the square. When I pulled it out, there was a colony of doodle bugs squatting in the middle of the bulb. Little buggers - I swear they took out all my bush beans.
We have a new 2' x 4' rectangle that is going in the garden for more tomatoes and squash....
That is all I have for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment